Everyone loves a great macaroni salad. This healthier version is a fun twist on a classic and is always a hit at summer barbecues. I make this avocado macaroni salad several times a month during the summer and it always hits the spot.
Macaroni salad is a summer classic but its often loaded with fat. This healthier version uses plain greek yogurt as an alternative to mayo and includes avocados, which takes this macaroni salad to another level.
I never used to be a huge macaroni salad fan. I find that most of them have so much mayo that all I end up tasting is mayo.
If you are watching your carbs or you are gluten-free, choose your macaroni noodles carefully. I like these Light Elbows for a lower carb option.
This keeps in the fridge for several days (without the avocado and parsley) and makes a great addition to summer barbecues.
Avocado Macaroni Salad
This twist on a traditional macaroni salad is a great addition to any summer meal.
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- salt and pepper
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped into thin matchsticks
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 8 oz dry macaroni
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 large avocado, diced
- parsley, chopped
- Cook macaroni according to the directions on the package.
- Once cooked, rinse with cold water and set aside to cool completely.
- Combine the Greek yogurt, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Combined cooed macaroni with the bell pepper, carrots, celery, onion, eggs, and avocado. Stir gently.
- Pour dressing on top and combine.
- Top with chopped parsley and serve.
If you are making this ahead of time, leave out the avocado and parsley. Add them in just before serving.