I LOVE a bowl of homemade soup in the winter and this Butternut Squash Soup recipe always hits the spot. This soup is smooth, creamy, and makes the perfect quick lunch or pre-dinner appetizer.
I used to not be a big fan of soup. I’m not sure why. Now I love a big bowl of soup in the winter.
What I love even more is making a giant pot of soup and calling dinner done for the next few days.
One of my biggest challenges when it comes to eliminating sugar from my diet and making healthier food choices is that I often wait to eat until I’m starving. At that point, anything goes. I grab whatever is the easiest and that is usually something loaded with sugar or other ingredients that I’m actively trying to avoid.
My brain and my stomach don’t always make the same decisions though.
Having a big pot of soup in my fridge makes it so much easier to grab something quick to eat when I don’t have time to cook a full meal. I don’t have to think about what to eat, I just have to dish out a reasonable portion.
I’ve fallen out of the habit but I used to make a big pot of soup Sunday afternoon to have on hand for easy lunches during the week. This Butternut Squash is a huge hit with everyone in my family and is so comforting on a cold day.
I love this soup with a bit of fresh thyme on top and served with a warm sandwich or a salad (I Love this one in the winter).
You really can’t go wrong with a big bowl of soup and this one is such a great way to get an extra serving of veggies into your day.
Butternut Squash Soup
This Butternut Squash Soup recipe is a favorite at my house during the winter months. It's flavorful and creamy and we love to keep it on hand for a quick meal.
- 1 Whole Butternut Squash, roasted
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tsp. Better than Boullion (chicken flavor)
- 1 cup, heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- Roast the butternut squash in the oven at 400° for about 45 minutes, or until the squash comes out easily.
- Scoop out the butternut squash.
- In a large pot, melt the butter and add the onion. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Heat your 4 cups of water in the microwave and stir in the Better than Bouillion until dissolved then add to the pot.
- Add the roasted butternut squash, apple, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Bring your soup to a boil then turn to low.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the apples are soft.
- Using an immersion blender (or add your soup to your regular blender) blend the soup well until it is smooth.
- Stir in the cream and serve.